Sometimes, it’s no longer enough for eCommerce stores to have the best products. With tons of online stores promoting their products day in and day out, it can be tricky to stand out. You have to think of something that will get your target market’s attention enough to highlight your products and the value it bring them.
How to Get More UGC from Your eCommerce Customers
One marketing strategy that has gained traction lately is using user-generated content (UGC). A majority of consumers trust UGC more than traditional advertising.
Online shopping experiences are no longer about simply making purchases. Apart from getting high-quality products, consumers look for meaningful connections and authenticity. The raw, real experiences consumers share through UGC impact potential customers’ purchasing decisions.
What is UGC?
UGC refers to content created and shared by unpaid contributors, who are often passionate fans or followers of a brand.
The power of UGC lies in its authenticity and relatability because it comes from real people sharing their authentic experiences. The trustworthiness and social proof inherent in UGC can impact potential customers because they’re not getting anything promotional. This inspires them to purchase products and maintain loyalty to the brand.
An intriguing manifestation of UGC is the trend of unboxing videos. Viewers are captivated by the excitement and suspense of unpacking a new product, which taps into the universal fear of missing out (FOMO) behavior. The ripple effect of this trend is two-fold: increased customer engagement and a subsequent boost in sales.
To generate UGC, an active and strategic approach is necessary.
Tips for Getting UGC
However, simply waiting for UGC to naturally occur is not enough. You have to encourage your customers to provide them. Here are some effective methods:
Offer Unique Experiences
Experiences that stand out generate conversations. As a brand, you must think of ways to provide customers with a unique and memorable shopping experience. This could range from sending a handwritten thank you note included in their order to designing custom packaging that transforms the unboxing process into an unforgettable event. As you improve customer satisfaction, it prompts them to promote your products.
Initiate Social Media Contests
Social media contests are also effective in getting UGC. Here are some ideas you can explore:
- Photo Contest: Run a photo contest asking your customers to share pictures on Instagram or Facebook while using the product. Ask them to use a unique hashtag, making it easier for you to track entries. The photos that best showcase the product could win a reward, such as a discount, free product, or feature on your official social media accounts.
- Transformation Stories: You could also host a contest inviting customers to share their stories of how the product changed their life. This could be in the form of a video or a series of photos with an accompanying story.
- Caption Contest: Another idea is to host a caption contest. You can post a picture of a model or influencer with your product and ask your followers to create a creative and catchy caption. The best caption could win a gift card or a piece from your new collection.
- Design Contest: If you want to take things a step further, you could run a design contest, asking your customers to design your next campaign.
Encourage Reviews and Testimonials
One after-sales strategy you can employ is asking for reviews and testimonials. Make the review process as seamless as possible. Send follow-up emails after purchases, requesting customers to provide feedback. You can also reward them for leaving reviews. For example, they can get 10% off on their next purchase. This strategy allows you to get the content and also encourages succeeding purchases.
Utilize Branded Hashtags
Branded hashtags simplify the process of tracking and collecting posts about your brand. This allows you to find and showcase their content and enables customers to engage with your brand and other customers.
Collaborate with Influencers
Influencers, even those with smaller followings, known as micro-influencers, can be incredibly effective in generating UGC. Find influencers whose messaging aligns with your brand. Influencer collaborations can create a ripple effect.
Create Loyalty Programs
Loyalty programs incentivize customers to interact with the brand more frequently. Customers are more likely to contribute when they know they’ll be rewarded for their engagement.
Customers who feel valued can become brand advocates.
Feature Customer Spotlights
Showcasing your customers on your social media platforms or website by sharing their unique experiences or innovative uses of your product makes them feel valued. These spotlights highlight the value of your products and brand.
With businesses going online, it’s time to leverage the power of their customer’s voice. Highlight them for your next campaign.
- Offer unforgettable experiences
- Initiate engaging social media contests
- solicit product reviews and testimonials
- Utilize branded hashtags for easy content tracking
- Collaborate with relevant influencers
- Incentivize your customers with rewards
- Celebrate them through customer spotlights