Safeguarding your business with two-factor authentication is not only smart on your end but it is a great way to keep hackers away from your confidential data.
With the growing number of websites and traffic on those websites, authenticating each one of them becomes a difficult task. It also becomes an important aspect to protect and secure user data available on your platform and in order to protect this sensitive consumer data, two-factor authentication became a mandatory requirement in today’s digital world.
What is 2FA SMS?
While passwords may be the most common form of security associated with a lot of digital accounts, they are simply insufficient when tackling security breaches and data leaks. Luckily, it is easy to give your customers’ accounts more security by using two-factor authentication, commonly called 2FA.
SMS authentication — also known as SMS-based two-factor authentication (2FA) and SMS one-time password (OTP)—allows users to verify their identities with a code that is sent to them via text message from a trusted SMS OTP solution platform.
A form of two-factor authentication, it often acts as a second verifier for your users to gain access to a network, system, or application, and is an excellent first step toward better security.
How does 2FA work?
It is highly probable that your customers know what 2FA is and that they have used it on other websites. It usually involves the same steps:
- Once they log onto your website, they input their details and your server finds a match and confirms the user.
- A dialogue box comes up for the user to initiate the second login step. Although this step can take several forms, the user needs to prove that they have something only they would have, like biometrics, a physical token, or a smartphone.
- Once they can provide both factors, the server confirms and grants access to their account on your application or website.
Is SMS Authentication Secure?
After you integrate your business into an enterprise communication platform, 2FA wouldn’t require any additional hardware or downloads from the user. They just need the ability to receive a simple SMS message and the security measures also help ensure that your customer’s information is not stolen and that your business does not accidentally become subject to blame.
No company wants to be associated with leaked or hacked passwords, nor do they want to deal with the legal nightmares and loss of profits that accompany an online security breach.
While it may be tiresome for a user to enter an SMS code every time they want to log in, using SMS confirmation also means that they don’t have to rely on a backup email, security question, or phone call. They will simply be prompted with a text message and can insert their unique code at leisure.
How Can Your Customers Benefit from SMS Authentication?
Unlike the ineffective security questions such as your street name or your first pet, the second piece of information used in 2FA is exceedingly hard for hackers to obtain because it comes from your bulk SMS provider. There are a few more ways your customers can benefit:
- 2FA takes seconds to set up and is very convenient
- Passwords are not as secure as they used to be not too long ago
- More and more businesses are utilizing 2FA and you don’t want to be their shadow
- It works everywhere and is compatible with all devices
- It is a cost-effective way of protecting your customers’ data
- Convenience: SMS authentication remove the hassle of trying to remember their password as it sends unique codes directly to the user, which they can then easily input on a website or app to verify their identities
- Better than no 2FA: Having your customers prove their identity with more than one piece of information is always going to be more secure. SMS authentication, therefore, is a safer alternative
- Customer support: If customers decide to share secure information with you, using 2FA ensures that they know you care about them and you take extra steps to ensure their security.
Improve Your Customers’ Security with BSG
There are a lot of 2FA solutions on the market, but the approach and the technology they use can vary, and you can reach out to BSG for two-factor authentication services to provide reliable protection for your users.
We also offer one-time passwords that are sent via SMS. It is extra security for your users’ accounts and another way for them to confirm their identity. With this solution, you will increase the safety of user data on websites and applications, preventing hacking and information theft.
So what are you waiting for? Start your 2FA journey today with BSG and secure your customer’s privacy and improve their experience.