Singapore boasts one of the highest internet penetration rates in the world and the 2nd highest rate of internet penetration within the Southeast Asian region.
SEO and How It Works: Guide for Beginners
By January 2020, the country had 5.14 million internet users which translates to about 90% of the total pollution. The high internet connectivity is a godsend for businesses in the country.
If you want to grow your brand in Singapore, you have to build an online presence. This is where search engine optimization (SEO) comes in handy.
SEO is a buzz phrase within the digital marketing landscape in Singapore but there are many misconceptions about what the practice entails.
Many businesses don’t leverage this aspect of digital marketing in their campaigns, leading to challenges in the highly competitive digital marketing ecosystem.
This post seeks to demystify search engine optimization (SEO) by breaking it down and explaining how it works in the simplest terms.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is a subset of search engine marketing and involves a wide range of activities to help your website rank high on organic search results. It’s important to note at this point that SEO focuses on organic search and not the paid aspect of search engine results.
To appreciate the importance of SEO for your digital business, first, understand how search engines work. Search engines provide the content internet users need based on various factors.
For instance, if you have a car dealership in Singapore, an internet user can find you online with a simple query on Google.
With so many businesses in the same niche, Google and other search engines had to identify a standardized way of ranking websites based on the relevancy of the content. In the early stages of search engines, there was virtually no regulation in the search engine industry.
It was easy for a new business to rank at the top of search engine result pages (SERPs) by stuffing keywords everywhere on its website. Google started updating its algorithm and made it harder for web admins to use black hat techniques such as these to get a good ranking.
Today, Google continues updating its algorithm to deliver the best experience for its users.
While Google doesn’t publish details on how it ranks websites, analysts cite search factors such as quality backlinks, relevant keywords, and quality content as some factors that improve a website’s ranking for a target keyword.
To deliver the results an internet user searches, search engines perform multiple activities in the background in milliseconds. The tasks are:
- Retrieving results
Search engines give the user only the most relevant results. Google emphasizes user experience and for this reason, only the website with the best content receives a good ranking.
Importance of SEO
Now, consider that most online experiences start with a search engine. Most people click on the first result on their search results.
This is where search engine optimization comes in handy. Your digital marketing agency will highlight the role of SEO as the core of the digital marketing process.
With so many businesses competing in the same industry, you have to go to extra lengths to ensure your website ranks highly on search engine results.
If your online business is to survive, you have to find a way of ranking high for your target customers to find you easily.
SEO covers a wide range of techniques both on-site and off-site all geared towards making your website rank better. Here are some of the SEO techniques:
- Onsite SEO: These techniques help search engine crawlers understand the meaning and context of your pages. they include high-quality content, optimize page titles and meta descriptions, headings and content formatting, videos and images, page loading speed, mobile-friendliness, internal/external links, and URL optimization
- Offsite SEO: This refers to techniques you can do outside of your website to help improve your site’s ranking on SERPs. They include brand mentions, commenting, forums, influencer outreach, guest blogging, link building, social networking, social bookmarking, content marketing, and newsletters.
The best digital marketing agencies in Singapore create a tailored SEO plan for your business to help you leverage the benefits of search. Some benefits of SEO include:
- Improved website traffic
- Effective lead generation strategy
- A cost-effective strategy for digital marketing
- Competitive edge in your niche
- Better ranking on SERPs
- Web audit/assessment before SEO helps identify developing problems
- Better user experience leads to higher customer retention
- Increased traffic leads to more engagement and higher conversions
- SEO helps you discover new opportunities
- SEO builds brand credibility through higher visibility/better user experience
- SEO helps comply with Google webmaster guidelines
- A long-term strategy for digital marketing
- Local SEO can win more foot traffic and sales for your local store
- Mobile-friendliness for your site expands your market reach and helps with better ranking on SERPs
If you haven’t started leveraging SEO for your business in Singapore, you’re missing out on a lot of opportunities. SEO creates synergy for all your digital marketing activities.
It’s a long-term strategy that keeps your team on its toes discovering new trends and implementing them for a competitive edge.