Managing vehicles helps companies of any scale and budget to up-size their effectiveness, cut extra expenses and predict potential issues. All the businesses relying on transportation in their work are involved in fleet management. The term encompasses a variety of actions and processes which may occur during vehicle usage.
Fleet management appliance
Operators supervise fleets in different industries including delivery services, construction, public transport, emergency, utility organizations, and others. And all commercial vehicles are managed and controlled by special software. Other core components of fleet management systems are cellular or GPS network, tracking devices, operators and proper vehicles, and other assets.
The goal of fleet supervising lies in overseeing and maintaining vehicles aimed at increasing the company’s productivity and reducing operational costs.
Fleet operators are responsible for tasks like transport maintenance (cars, trucks, trains, vessels, etc.), asset acquisition and utilization, controlling fuel consumption and costs, driver retention, route development, and vehicle tracking.
Benefits of fleet management
Whether a company operates one or a hundred trucks, heading a fleet is vital for business success, resource-saving, and improving customer service. Here are the main advantages of fleet governing:
- Provides real-time visibility. Sensors, GPS, and cloud technology allow operators to get actual data and make timely decisions to maximize productivity, reduce expenses and improve safety.
- Decrease fuel costs. Tracking solutions help companies to spend 20%/40% less fuel by optimizing routes.
- Grow business efficiency. Management software reduces idle time, controls safety, and contributes to employees’ productivity.
- Improve customer service. GPS tracking allows to ensure quick and safe delivery, minimizes delays, and avoids package losses.
If you want to receive maximum benefits from fleet management, experts from Euristiq can help you to develop customized software for monitoring vehicle performance in real-time and generating constructive insights.
How to improve fleet management
There are several ways to achieve better results in managing commercial vehicles:
- Tracking software implementation. Manual overseeing can be time-consuming and inaccurate. Fleet tracking programs solve this issue, automatically receiving and storing vehicle and driver data at a gathering center. This technology allows for monitoring location, and driver behavior, identifying risks, and improving safety.
- Data integration. Combining management systems with other tools, like GPS devices and telematics you’ll get an on-time vehicle inspection and identify possible issues. Such data as the number of miles traveled or mechanisms conditions will help to maintain preventive activities and improve safety.
- Optimizing fuel consumption. Using a GPS connection and Google Maps, you can compose the fastest route to the appropriate location. And such data as idle time and car speed from a tracking system will help to calculate necessary parameters for increasing efficiency while cutting costs.
- Safety compliance. In addition to driver behavior monitoring, operators should record hours of service (HOS), license statuses, repairs, accident events, employee training, and other documents and store them in a common database. All the information must be located at the fingertips but be well protected. Cloud computing easily deals with this issue.