Monterey is a new operating system for Mac computers, which will be released soon. In June 2021, it was announced that it would replace macOS Big Sur in the fall of 2021.
Everything You Need to Know about MacOS Monterey
Recently, Apple promised to release the software on October 25. Information drawn from the Apple presentation and feedback from beta testing suggests that macOS will make a breakthrough in many relations. Here, we discuss some of the most notable features of macOS Monterey. Read on to learn why they will make Apple devices even more user-friendly.
What Is MacOS Monterey?
macOS is the name of Apple’s desktop operating system that has been developed since the beginning of the 2000s. It’s the successor of Mac OS, the operating system that has been in place from 1984 to 1999.
Apple has been regularly releasing updates of macOS, constantly adding new features and improving users’ experiences. Every new version was named after big cat species or notable places in California.
Thus, macOS Monterey is a result of a long tradition of upgrades, which is expected to bring the Mac use to a new level.
What New Features Will It Contain?
Apple prepared many fun and functional features that will make users’ experiences more meaningful. It seeks to make Mac use more efficient, productive, and customized, meaning that Mac devices will become even more suitable for work, study, and entertainment. Let’s review some of the most notable new features of macOS Monterey:
1. Safari’s New Tab Design. Some users were dissatisfied with the Safari changes made before, so the new OS will allow users to choose which design they want to use, Separate or Compact. The latter adjusts to match the color of each website and combines the tabs, the search field, and the toolbar into a single design.
Another significant change that Safari users will notice relates to the tabs management. macOS Monterey will make it possible to group tabs and synchronize them across their Apple devices for easier access and use. Now, people who like to open dozens of tabs all at once will finally have a chance to categorize them efficiently. This feature will also allow switching between tasks (e.g., work and entertainment) without closing the tabs.
2. Universal control is one of the most appealing features that Apple fans are looking for. It will enable users to control several devices simultaneously using a single mouse and keyboard. For instance, they can drag a word file from one iPad into another using only the mouse and continue typing without interruptions.
3. The Focus mode. This macOS Monterey feature will allow users to control the notifications and distractions. For example, by turning the Work mode on, the user allows notifications from work-related messengers and programs. In the Personal mode, only notifications from friends and family will get through. In this way, the device will help its owner to remain focused on the task and be more productive.
4. FaceTime improvements consider the increasing use of this service for work-related and personal communication. macOS Monterey will blur the background, meaning that people will see less mess in the room.
The quality of the voice will also improve, creating the feeling of physical presence. In addition, FaceTime will support some entertaining features, such as listening to music together. This function is possible due to SharePlay, which allows sharing content with other users for more meaningful interaction.
5. The software will also be able to detect text in photos. For example, character recognition will make it easy to save a text from a photo of a textbook page in a word file. Visual Lookup, in turn, will help users obtain details on landmarks, art, animals, plants, and other objects. This feature will be particularly useful for travelers who often need a correct interpretation of visual cues.
Will It Work on All Devices?
Unfortunately, owners of older Macs and iPads will not be able to enjoy all the features of the new macOS. For example, the Portrait mode in FaceTime, which blurs the background, will be available for Apple’s M1 chip owners only.
M1 Macs will also be the only devices that support the interactive globe and 3D cities feature. In addition, if your Mac was released in 2015 or earlier, you won’t be able to take advantage of universal control.
If none of these features are essential to you, don’t worry – you’ll still enjoy many other benefits of the new OS. However, if you are looking for more outstanding experiences or need them in your work, it is time to purchase a new Apple device.
Can I Try It Now?
If you are a public beta tester or a registered developer, you can test the software ahead of the official release date. The beta version of macOS Monterey is available now to selected Apple users.
On the one hand, testing a beta version is a great opportunity to enjoy the benefits sooner than the rest of Mac owners. On the other hand, it may contain bugs and glitches that may create a negative impression. In any case, you won’t have to wait long before you can fully enjoy all the beautiful features of macOS Monterey.