If you’ve ever had to prepare and write a business report, you’ll know what a stress-inducing activity this can be! Thankfully, there are a few steps you can take to support you to write a brilliant business report that will be sure to impress.
Whether you are unsure where to start with the preparation of your business report or are simply looking for ways to perfectly polish it before submission, these top 5 tips are sure to help.
1. Formulate a Plan
All great business reports begin with a plan, creating a clear plan for what you hope to achieve with the report is the best way to ensure your goals are met.
Part of this plan will also mean settling on the type of business plan you need to create. This could include choosing a recommendation report, compliance report, feasibility report, or progress report.
2. Following An Accepted Structure
Most business reports will contain some if not all of the following:
- Title page outlining the report title, who it is for (business name), who it was prepared by and on what date.
- Table of contents, this is highly recommended for any reports that exceed more than a few pages.
- Introduction, a brief outline of what the report will cover.
- Methods and outcomes will summarise the findings and detail how the research that led to these outcomes was conducted.
- Conclusion and recommendations that restate the learning and any actions that should be taken moving forward.
- Bibliography and citations for any sources mentioned, you can include copies of additional documentation here if desired.
By following a logical order of presentation of information and outcomes, your report will be easier to read and helps ensure you don’t miss any vital details.
3. Keep It Concise And Clear
A business report should be easy to skim-read with all key points made obvious via descriptive headings. Employ the use of bullet points, short sentences, and numerous paragraphs.
Consider including an executive summary that outlines all key points in one place in an easily digested format.
4. Use An Authoritative, Professional Tone
Your report should read confidently and mirror the tone of your business’s website or other written communication. Employ the use of more formal language and focus on spelling a grammar at all times.
Try to remain as objective and impersonal as possible – remember this is a report stating facts, not a novel. If referring to individuals within the business, always use full names and titles, back up any claims with evidence and minimize the use of loose terms such as might or seems.
5. Employ A Professional Proofreader
The value of proper editing and proofreading cannot be understated. Not only should you never submit the first draft, but you should also take some time away from your draft before reading it again with fresh eyes.
Wherever possible engage the help of a professional business report writing and proofreading service to give your report a thorough review. This can ensure a polished and pristine business report that represents the best of your business.
Failing to properly proofread can cause damage to how your business is perceived by clients or shareholders. This is due to the fact that errors or inconsistencies are often considered representative of how you approach operations in general. So keep all reporting sharp and expertly polished!
Make Your Next Business Report a Stand-Out!
By following these simple steps you can avoid feeling overwhelmed while crafting your next business report and feel confident that it will be a stand-out for all the right reasons. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!