Social media is a powerful tool that can help grow your business or brand. However, with so many creators and companies trying to do the same, you may feel that it becomes increasingly difficult to catch your audience’s eye.
You’re not the only one – even big creators tend to struggle when looking for new ideas and inspiration. Plus, most platforms change their algorithms at least once or twice per year to improve accuracy and user experience.
Also, many platforms use bots to check the validity of your content, which can sometimes lead to unjust bans of your hard-worked posts.
This can make anyone feel frustrated (even the big names of this world). Still, things are not as dark as they may seem. Yes, social media is a highly competitive environment, but it’s also an amazing way to discover new customers and new collaborators. And, if you have a few tricks up your sleeve, you can reshape your social media strategy towards a new path.
Here are a few valuable tips to get you started:
Whip Up a Strategy
Every entrepreneur knows you shouldn’t start anything business-related without a well-detailed plan. In fact, successful entrepreneurs extend this credo to their personal lives as well.
In a world as dynamic as social media, you won’t manage to do much without putting together a content strategy that’s tailored to your unique business goals, resources, and time. Plus, it helps to create a content schedule a few months ahead and adjust it as needed, on the go.
Here are a few steps that can help you create a rough strategy sketch:
- Define your set of goals for social media (what type of growth do you want to see?)
- Build the profile of your target audience (age, social status, favorite platforms, and so on)
- Understand what KPIs you’ll need to follow to monitor progress
- Check out your competitors and learn from their strategies
As a bonus, here you can find a few useful tips on how to put together a solid social media content strategy.
True, nowadays, when you put engagement and social media together it sounds like a marketing buzzword. But the reason why experts like to use it so much is that engagement truly works.
When your viewers interact with the content you put out (via comments, likes, shares, subscribes, and more) you can see real growth. That’s because all the algorithms are designed to favor posts that have people interacting with the platform.
Still, it’s not easy to create engagement and keep people interested. You need to understand a few crucial factors such as how your audience thinks, what’s the best platform for your goals, how call to action works in social media, and how to create engagement on your platform of choice.
Know What to Publish
When you have something to sell, you may be tempted to make all your posts about how amazing your product/service is. However, your viewers don’t like that and you’ll soon see fewer of your followers if you had any, to begin with.
Variety is the key to a good social media presence, and you can keep things interesting by playing mix-and-match with the four pillars of good content: educate, entertain, inspire, and promote.
Here’s how to mix everything together:
- Educational content usually includes how-to posts, answers to questions that often pop up in your niche or even about your product, lists, and other bits of content designed to educate an interested reader.
- Entertaining content is the one that keeps readers intrigued and engaged. This can be anything from behind-the-scenes stories to the latest social media trends that are relevant to your industry.
- Promotional content includes clear calls to action, where you encourage the readers to do what you want to do (buy, subscribe, download, share, like, etc). Make sure to not overdo it with this type of content lest you send your audience running.
- Inspiring content can paint your brand into a more human-friendly image since it needs to have an emotional impact on your readers. Post about your brand’s community involvement, personal stories of employees (which they agreed to share), captains of your industry, and so on.
Use Images and Videos
Most online users will click on a social media post because they find the image/video interesting. Plus, scientists have spoken – our brain processes visual images 60,000 times faster than text!
Visuals are even more important in the current social media climate where, even if your posts get on the right audience’s feed, there’s no guarantee they’ll see them or make the effort to click on them.
So, if you want to give your posts the best possible chance for success (which is users engaging with them online), you must learn how to use visuals to increase your posts’ visibility and click rate.
Craft Your Words Carefully … Not Just Your Visuals
Of course, what you say also matters. The caption of your social media posts weighs heavily on its success, so make sure you follow the rules of good social media copywriting.
For instance, the text that accompanies the visual is there to serve as guidance (aka call to action) and emotional connection with the reader. Plus, you can also take a page from the influencers’ handbook and create a copy that sounds engaging without being overly promotional. Captions that are playful, humorous, and inspiring connection with the reader. Therefore, they’re less likely to ignore your call to action when they see it.
Plus, don’t forget you are on social media, where hashtags matter. When you create your copy, make sure to build it around some of the hottest hashtags relevant to what you have to say.
To sum everything up, to get more out of your social media efforts, you first need to build a solid social media strategy built on the foundation of your business’s unique goals and needs. Next, you must learn how to create engagement and what type of content to publish.
Finally, it’s important to pay attention to how you combine visuals and text in order to create the most interesting and engaging posts. If you manage to master all these steps, you may never get frustrated by social media again!